A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

2008/08/10

Two Awesome Photos from Elsewhere

Ruediger Kohlmueller in Germany sent me this photo of this fantastic Cyp kentuckiense alba he visited in the wilds of Arkansas. It is the only example of an alba form I have ever heard of from this species. Truly a rarity. He said that this was the only plant at the site blooming green. I hope that some day soon we can get seed from this plant and propagate it in cultivation.

Photobucket

Photo is copyright Ruediger Kohlmueller and is not to be used without his written permission.

And second, Bill Steele from Spangle Creek Labs in MN (http://www.spanglecreeklabs.com/) sent me a photo of a seedling of Cyp californicum planted out in 2005. 3 years to blooming is impressive, to say the least, for this species. Many experienced growers say 8 years to bloom from seed!

He has them in a mixture of Turface MVP and Perlite at a ratio of 1:2. Fertilize with Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon with nearly every watering, and 50% shadecloth. Way to go Bill. You are the master ;-)

Photobucket

No comments: