A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

2009/10/31

2009-10-31 Fence! &c.

The fence is coming along! Cannot wait until I don't have to clean up after the neighborhood dogs anymore... The blue tree alone in the yard is an Acacia baileyana "purpurea".
Photobucket

In this photo, if you squint, you can see elements of our production garden. Two Honeyberry (Lonicera)in the foreground; many strawberry, lingonberry and arctic rasberry, two small Paw Paw trees (Asimina), Two Cornelian Cherry (Cornus), two Currants, one Persimmon and just back up in the first picture around the corner is our Goji.
Photobucket

Now that it's officially Fall, many of my South African seeds are germinating now... even though many were sown in April this year... On the list of those that sat for 6mo without a leaf are Veltheimia bracteata, Babiana ringens, Romulea amoena, komsbergensis, and mondelpha and Geissorhiza tulbaghensis... Also two Serruria florida and a single Leucospermum olefolium have germinated in the last week. I had no germination before then.

Here's a picture of part of the bulb seedling area in the greenhouse with weeee tiny leaves poking up everywhere.
Photobucket

Eucharis is starting to bloom. Photos to come when in full bloom, maybe one more week. A few of my Vireya Rhododendrons are also starting to open.

Oxalis versicolor that blooms all winter. Each flower closes at night with its candycane swirls... and reopens in the morning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

mjlai said...

Did you end up losing that foot or so with the fence? :( And the oxalis versicolor looks really pretty.. :O I lost one of my rhododendrons, I think the soil mix didn't dry out very well.. the leaves up and wilted.

Marcus Tyaeronius Portwhistle said...

We did have to situate the fence about 1 foot in from where the old "fence" was... Lisa was upset about losing the garden space, but it's not too much of a loss, especially with the added area filled in behind the greenhouse. The Oxalis is from Telos Rare bulbs. I have a couple others, not blooming yet. I've also got a Tecophilaea coming up now which I'm hoping will bloom this coming spring since it didn't bloom last...

mjlai said...

I'd be upset too, a foot is a lot! We lost about 6 feet in the back cause of the neighbor's hideous hedge.. but oh well it's not like we can plant anything anyway cause of the renter in the guesthouse.. that back area is perfect for the chickens though. :(

Art said...

Your yard is looking great! Was there no fence there before? It must have been a bit awkward with the neighbors. Is your greenhouse double-walled or maybe it's just me. Looks like lisa's maple bonsai are doing well. Very nice!