A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

2010/03/07

2010-03-07 Early Spring Repot and New Rhodie

I repotted about 40 Protea this weekend. I noticed that all the plants had formed thickets of roots called Proteoid roots. Imagine the photo below in 3D and you should think of something that looks a lot like milfoil. Supposedly, these roots help the plants uptake nutrients in low nutrient environments.

Photobucket

And also a Rhododendron spinuliferum from a friend (thanks!). This is not your average garden center Rhodie...

Photobucket

In case you're wondering, the flowers are fully open.

Photobucket

No comments: