A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

2010/11/19

2010-11-19 Protea!

One of the Protea repens that I started from seed from Fynbos People in October 2007 is blooming in my greenhouse. This is the very first Protea I've ever grown to blooming size (with plenty more on the way from both Fynbos and Silverhill Seeds). Potting mix is 1.5 parts washed quarter minus gravel, 1 part orchid bark, 1 part perlite, 1 part pumice, and half a part of Turface MVP. I usually don't fertilize, but I have added Ironite from time to time and this Fall I fertilized with Alfalfa meal which has 0 phosphate (since high phosphate kills Protea). There is a second inflorescence on the same plant that is soon to open. I'm surprised that the plant didn't wait until February to bloom... This is probably the only Protea blooming within 100mi, or more perhaps...

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

LancefromHB said...

Fantastic and gratifying result.

I got my first bud on Protea eximia here on a 2 year plant raised from seed so I am feeling the first blush of success. I am in coastal Southern California.