A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

2011/08/15

2011-08-15 Protea!

One of my Protea lacticolor seedlings, started Fall 2007 from Fynbos People, opened today. The flower is smaller than I thought it would be, but still very nice. I'm afraid that this one will not last longer than a few days :-(

Photobucket

Also blooming is Silphium lanatum, compass plant. It's basically a perennial sunflower. Native to the plains, the roots can grow more than 20ft straight down. One species of bee always shows up when it opens and sleeps in the flowers at night. This thing is about 10ft tall.
Photobucket

A Tigridia pavonia. Only open for one day...
Photobucket

Gentiana septemfida from seed. Great blues.
Photobucket

Plain ole' Eschscholzia californica.
Photobucket

No comments: