A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

2011/08/28

2011-08-28 Southern Oregon

The view leaving Lake Bolan. The California Lilac filled the air with a sweet fragrance.
Photobucket

Our bog is still where we left it.
Photobucket

Last year we saw Calochortus howellii in bloom in late August. Found those same plants again this year. This species usually blooms in early July, so it's very unusual. These plants are also unusual in that they are growing in moist ground, which is usually instant death for this species... I think Calochortus howellii ssp kouzesii is appropriate.
Photobucket

Gentiana setigera grows right next to the Darlingtonia.
Photobucket

Lilium bolanderi capsule.
Photobucket

Triantha occidentalis ssp occidentalis: a late bloomer. I'd love to get some seeds but it's always just like this when we arrive.
Photobucket

A short but nice trip. I don't know if we'll be able to go camping at all next year, so it might be until 2013 before I can get some more pictures from Southern Oregon. I plan on going in April 2013 to, hopefully, see the Fritillaria recurva among other things. We've also postponed the backpacking trip to the Wallowa Mountains until July 2013. Jackson Hole July 2012, though!

No comments: