A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

Blog Archive

2012/05/09

2012-05-06 Around the Yard

In lieu of actually going anywhere, I'm sticking to the garden for photos for quite a while... In alphabetical order.

My Agapetes serpens has got quite a few flowers. It actually *might* just barely be hardy here, if planted in a protected spot and mulched heavily. Sweet whitish berries in the fall. It is a blueberry family after all.
Photobucket

This came in a pot with something else. My guess is that it's Anemonella thalictroides flore pleno alba, but I could be well off on that... It is cute though.
Photobucket

Our Arctic Raspberries in the garden are spreading well. They're an herbaceous ground cover.
Photobucket

This came to me as Babiana ringens seed in 2009. Since that species is bright red and has an interesting spathe for sugar birds to sit on, I'm guessing that this seed was mislabeled. Oh well.
Photobucket

Calceolaria biflora 'Gold Cap'. Hope it forms a nice clump of little shoe flowers.
Photobucket

All of my Dicentra oregana got planted this spring. Finally!
Photobucket

Dichelostemma capitata from seed. First flowers.
Photobucket

Dryas octopetala from seed.
Photobucket

The Foethergilla looks nice this year.
Photobucket

Leucadendron modestum female plant. From seed.
Photobucket

Lewisia cotyledon alba in bloom from seed.
Photobucket

The regular Lewisia cotyledon. From seed.
Photobucket

When we were in Hawaii last winter, I collected a few seeds of what I thought was Metrosideros polymorpha growing around the Ka'a Crater (a great hike, if you like to sweat and slip down steep waterfalls). After looking at photos on the web, I now think it's more likely Metrosideros rugosa, but it will be a while before I can really confirm that. Either way, both are species endemic to Hawaii.
Photobucket

A cute little No ID plant I got in a pot of something else.
Photobucket

Rhododendron linearifolium.
Photobucket

Last, a very old plant of Rhododendron benhallii that will, we hope, like this sunny spot in the garden.
Photobucket

No comments: