A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

Blog Archive

2012/05/09

2012-05-09 Protea nana opening

This Protea nana plant is tiny. It's well less than a foot tall and already has a flower, so when it becomes a lovely 3ft tall shrub, I'm hoping for hundreds of flowers... Seed from Silverhill Seeds. I only got 4 plants to grow: for some reason this species wasn't easy for me to germinate. They grow quite lanky naturally. I'm sure I should prune them, but I haven't had the heart to cut them yet. The flower is a little globe with a diameter of 1 inch. I'm hoping it will open slightly more over the next few days. Favorite question of the day: "Why is your pine tree blooming?"

Photobucket

For scale.
Photobucket

Photobucket

On the other hand, I have about 20 Protea pityphylla that germinated very well and look quite similar, but much more compact and slow growing. No flowers on those yet. Maybe in a year or two.

No comments: