A blog of my botanical misdeeds and potentially interesting floral photos. All Photos Copyright Ross Kouzes

About Me

My photo
This is a blog dedicated to interesting flora and the yard projects I undertake to make their cultivation possible.

Blog Archive

2012/05/16

2012-05-16 Pergola and Yard

I haven't posted a photo of our finished pergola over the deck yet. It really looks excellent. It provides a bit of shade at the end of the deck and the Trachelospermum jasminoides is planted and will grow there at the end on a trellis between the two supports. There are already two hardy Kiwi planted to grow up and over top in the next few years. It's a 4x4 treated post structure with a 2x8 struts and a hollow plastic lattice. It was an incredible pain to get the treated wood painted. I tried using latex primer and paint, but it took 10 coats. I'll definitely try something else next time.
Photobucket

One more of the Protea nana as it opens.
Photobucket

This is a seedling of what is probably a Lilium columbianum.
Photobucket

My Penstemon grown from seed is finally planted. I planted them en masse so they will form a nice round, evergreen blue leaved shrub in no time.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Ian said...

I have P. nana blooming as well. My seed did not germinate though so I ordered one from Hortus Botanicus about a year ago. I also got P. pityphylla from them (which also failed to germinate) and like you I notice it tends to remain much more compact at first. I should ask your for advice on germinating these things - my last couple of attempts have not gone so well! I have some P. sulphurea and P. effusa seed I need to plant in the best way possible.

Marcus Tyaeronius Portwhistle said...

Glad to hear your nana is blooming. I have tried sulphurea three times with no germination, and never had the pleasure of trying effusa. So please don't listen to me about those. Protea sulphurea just rots without a hint of germination... Maybe it's too warm, maybe too cold... BTW, most Protea need to be sown in the Fall with high temperatures nowhere above 60F. However, my mixes have worked for germinating at least two dozen species of Proteaceae, with most species germinating well. Of course, I assume you are using the South African seed smoke primer, which is an absolute must before sowing.

I've changed my mix over the past few years adapting to variables. I started out with a mix of 1pt perlite, 1pt pumice, 1pt large orchid bark, 1.5pt sifted gravel (quarter-minus), 1/2pt Turface MVP. The flats of seedlings were so heavy and it eventually compacted until watering properly became difficult: not because it wouldn't drain but because soaking the surface did not imply adequate soaking below. The water didn't penetrate the mix evenly, leaving dry spots that I found when repotting. I've recently changed to a mix of 1.5pt Perlite XLP (extra large perlite), 1pt small orchid bark and one part pumice. This mix is super light and well draining. You can add up to half a part of peat and still have the same draining, for the most part, but with a little bit more retention. Before I sow the seeds (surface sow), I put about 1/2cm to 1cm of pure peat on the surface of the mix, which keeps the germination moisture levels even and acts as a moisture barrier afterward.

It may be tough to find these ingredients in your area. It took me several years of dealing with an inadequate supply to really spend the effort to find good sources. FYI, I pay something like $8/1cf bag for pumice, $12/2cf bag for bark and $15/4cf bag of perlite. Peat prices are pretty ubiquitous. If you're buying these ingredients in small bags at a big box store, you're almost certainly paying nearly 10 times that. If you're in a big city, it's almost certain that you can find big bags of supplies. I found mine by first asking at a local nursery (as in their nursery is in their front yard and they buy everything locally for themselves). Second, the internet has a lot of great information and sometimes you can score some good spots there. I drive all over the middle of no where buying these things once or twice a year.

I hope your seeds germinate and your Protea pityphylla bloom next year.